Goats and sheep were the first animals domesticated, long before cows and pigs, and well before horses. Interestingly, although goats have been domesticated for possibly 10,000 years or more, they are one of few domestic animals that will quickly and fully reintegrate in the wild if set free, mostly because of their natural instinct for grazing. These grazers are also fairly tasty and produce milk, which is why they caught the eye of ancient humans living in modern-day Turkey and Iran, where separate domestications are believed to have occurred. Other domestication events may have occurred in India, but DNA studies have not yet confirmed this, as it’s also possible that domesticated animals from the fertile crescent were brought east and bred with wild goats. At any rate, the hundreds of goat breeds that exist today can be traced back to the one species that roamed the mountains of western Asia.
A billy goat is an adult male goat. Unlike many other species, both the males and females may have horns, although the male’s horns are larger. Billy goats are intelligent and curious, and really will eat anything edible. Their intelligence is sometimes misunderstood as stubbornness.
- Scientific Name: Capra hircus
- Characteristics: Head held high, this billy goat figure has a confident, intelligent face that befits his breed. He’s ready to join the farm, where you can count on him being curious and maybe a little headstrong.
- Size and Colour: This white billy goat figure is 3 ¾ inches long and 2 ¾ inches tall, a little larger than a slice of French bread. The detailed colouring about the face is exceptionally realistic.
- The Billy Goat is part of the Safari Farm collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Size in cm: 9.5 L x 7 H