African Wild Dog
Sadly, while African wild dogs once ranged between the desert and mountainous areas of much of sub-Saharan Africa, they have been eliminated from many of those regions and now mainly reside in Southern and Eastern Africa. Their current population has been estimated at around 6,500 individuals, and is currently dropping due to habitat loss and hunting. They are legally protected in many of the regions in which they’re found, but unfortunately their numbers have not yet been able to rebound.
Native to Sub-Saharan Africa, the African wild dog is the only living member of the genus Lycoan. Although they look somewhat similar to both jackals and hyenas, their closest relatives are coyotes, wolves, and domesticated dogs.
- Scientific Name: Lycaon pictus
- Characteristics: Extremely social animals, we’re sure this African wild dog would love to join up with your pack! Individually hand painted and immaculately designed for life-like realism, this figurine is not only exceptional for creative play or as a learning aid, but it also makes a great gift for a nature lover!
- Size and Colour: African wild dogs have exquisitely colourful coats the feature unique patterns of bronze, black, white, and tan. Measuring 3.5 inches long and 2.75 inches tall, our African wild dog figurine is a bit bigger than a deck of cards stood on its side.
- The African Wild Dog is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
Size in cm: 9 L x 3.7 W x 7 H